Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Women 'left alone during labour'

Thanks to Ruvandhi for this:

The BBC website carries a story regarding women's perceptions of their childbirth experiences within the NHS. Half the three thousand women said they were left alone during labour, prompting us to ask why on earth weren't they accompanied by a medical student? A perfect opportunity to provide support and company, as well as learning and taking some of the burden from midwives, whose numbers the same article claims will need to increase to the tune of ten thousand over the next few years.
Still, this doesn't allow for women not wanting a medical student present during their labour, some of the issues are discussed in this previous post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wonder if 'left alone' meant by the medical staff or completely alone (i.e. no partner or friend either). I didn't mind much that the medical staff popped in intermittently in my very long labour, but at least I had my husband there. I shudder to think what it must be like to go through labour with just you and your contractions.